Tuesday, July 28, 2009

15 Things I learned at BlogHer09

1. The 65 CTA Bus to Harlem does NOT go by the Sheraton Towers. (fortunately was only two stops in before I realized I was moving rapidly AWAY from my destination)

2. I have something to say, and who knew, there are tons of people willing to listen.

3. There's a fascinating dynamic where you are sort of starstruck by people you've read for a while, and simultaneously, there's this realization that they aren't that different from me.

4. I have a lot to learn about blog/web design - any ideas where I should start?

5. Sober people blog too.

6. Crocs flip-flops are possibly some of the most comfy shoes ever.

7. I have not resolved my own "quest to be a mom" issues, and that's ok.

8. This sentence is somewhat controversial: good writing produces good blogs.

9. I need to explore my comfort level with disclosure - how much is too much?

10. I'm more confident than I knew. I walked up and gave my card to a woman at Sparklecorn party because she was a fabulous dancing fool. Turns out we are in very similar career fields. Love that. I don't know where else I would have felt comfortable doing that.

11. I need to take a photography class. I thought I knew what I was doing, but beyond the fundamentals, I think I kind of suck.

12. Laughter is extremely important. My ribs and abdominal muscles actually ached because I was laughing so much and so hard.

13. Glitter makes me feel fancy.

14. My writing will not become better if I do not stay consistent, both in me writing and me reading the writing of others whom I admire. Period.

15. Missing BlogHer10 is not an option.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

BlogHer was amazing, wasn't it? Wow. I spent most of the weekend feeling pretty overwhelmed. I really do think you get out of it what you put into it. I mostly put awkwardness into it. Next year, I'll do better.

ExpatAdventures said...

Ha! What a great list!
I'm inspired to make and post my own.
Thanks!
Rebecca http://www.xpatadventures.com

MsPicketToYou said...

#8 is my favorite.

i wished to spell that in a badly (!) kinda way but couldn't.

Captain Dumbass said...

I seem to be doing ok without #8. Ahahahaha!

But seriously, some people need to spend a little more time on little things like putting capitals in the right place.