Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And they told two friends, and so on, and so on...

So I get my hair cut at a nursing home. Really. For my work, I go to visit and work with people on hospice who also happen to reside at nursing homes. About a year ago, I discovered that my boss gets her hair cut at one of them, and her hair is always exceptionally cute. Apparently in addition to the "live-in" clients, the salon also has a modest clientele out in the world. Why wouldn't they? A haircut costs ten bucks! So I started going there and it has worked out surprisingly well. Tonight I had company while I was getting my haircut: Dorothy, a resident at the facility had wheeled herself down to the salon from her suite and would be getting a wash and set as the final client of the day. Carrie, my friend and stylist, was originally going to see if Dorothy would be willing to come back when I was done, but I told her it was ok and we had a great conversation about hairstyles and how they have changed over the years, and how Dorothy used to wear her hair as a young woman versus now. Carrie finished my hair and I paid and bade farewell to the ladies. As I got in my car, I was thinking that sometimes it's just nice to have a little company, and realized that this may have been more true for me than for Dorothy.